Guacamole. America goes nuts for it, Australians pay 5 dollars to have it added to their meals and we Latinos… we show you how to make your own!
You will need:
- 2 ripe avocadoes, peeled and seeded in a bowl
- ½ bunch of fresh coriander chopped finely
- 1 small red onion, no core, peeled and diced very small
- The juice of one good, juicy lemon, or 2 average ones. Do not, under any circumstances try to replace real lemon juice for the fake shit
- salt and pepper
- 1 small clove of garlic, vein removed and chopped very, very finely
- 1 small tomato diced quite small
- olive oil
- In a good size bowl, mix together the onion, garlic, lemon, coriander, pepper and salt (to taste however less is more here) in a bowl with the avocados.
- Mash in the avocados making sure you are mixing all the flavours into the mash. Taste and adjust salt-pepper-lemon balance, when satisfied with the flavour add a tiny bit of olive oil, stir to combine.
In a separate plate add a bit of salt and olive oil to your tomatoes, let them sit for a couple of minutes, drain and mix with into the avocado mix.
Serve immediately or if you will like to preserve it in the fridge for later, you can make this guy last 3 to 4 days in the fridge without going black if you follow these steps:
- place the avocados pips inside the bowl with guacamole
- sprinkle a bit of lemon and salt on top of the guacamole
- cover with cling film directly touching the guacamole trying to leave NO AIR in between the plastic film and the guacamole
I have been able to keep guacamole looking and tasting great for about a week using industrial fridges, at home using this method, my guac will easily last up to 4 days before starting to go black and bitter. Campers will want to eat on the same day – eskys are not reliable.
Supercharge your guacamole*
Chop up some fetta cheese and add it in just before serving – delicious!
*not dairy-free (obvs)
from chilli with love